Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Realization #2: Slow Cooking Doesn't Mean Better Cooking

First, an update of the chicken and rice I threw into the crockpot last Friday:
"Creamy" Chicken and Wild Rice...sans color or cream

Yeah. It tasted really good, but looked like gruel. A big mistake was that there wasn't enough liquid. Every time I read about slowcookers they stress that the liquid won't cook out, so don't use much. Ok cool, well when using RICE...I clearly didn't make the connection that this would be an exception, resulting in little creaminess and lots of mush. Still, this was probably the best I've done with the crockpot lately, as on Sunday, I tried Peppermint Hot Chocolate.

Disaster. No picture needed.

First, I'll be clear and say that for once I followed the directions exactly, except the cooking temperature. Oh, you're thinking, well then obviously that was the problem (idiot). Noooo...it wanted me to put this hot chocolate on HIGH for 3 HOURS...after scraping rice out of the bottom a day before, I knew that would be too hot, so I used low. And STILL it was singed to the sides, clumpy, gritty, and just BAD. Also, apparently a teaspoon of peppermint extract has the strength of about 87 candycanes because my hot chocolate was like drinking a clumpy tube of toothpaste. Alas, live and learn. Still on the hunt for a GOOD peppermint mocha/hot chocolate recipe if anyone crosses one.

To counter my slowcooking messes this weekend, I made awesome spinach dip bread bowls for a dear friend's surprise party, which I will post later!

Has anyone else had a bad crockpot experience, or do I stand alone?

3 comments:

  1. I've spent many a days scraping stuff out of crockpots. I usually just leave the stoneware sit in the sink for a week after a failure. I have THE BEST ever hot chocolate/mocha recipe coming up next week. I've been drinking one everyday. So easy, you'll cry...at least, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it 8 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh the stoneware is definitely sitting in my sink soaking still haha I can't wait for the recipe! I'm sick of buying drinks like that and know there has to be a better at home solution than the one I tried

      Delete